January 24, 2022
Proverbs 2:1-22 NIV
My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding—
3 indeed, if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7 He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
8 for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Proverbs 2 gives us a powerful vision of what immersion in the Word of God looks like. Notice the eight levels of engagement prescribed here.
- Accept my words.
- Store up my commands within you.
- Turn your ear to wisdom.
- Apply your heart to understanding.
- Call out for insight.
- Cry aloud for understanding.
- Look for it as for silver.
- Search for it as for hidden treasure.
Read the list again; this time slowly. This is not an urgent appeal for strenuous activity. It is a beckoning invitation to deep immersion.
There is also a decisive set of outcomes:
- You will understand the fear of the Lord.
- You will find the knowledge of God.
- You will receive wisdom.
- You will enjoy success.
- Your walk will be shielded.
- Your course will be guarded.
- Your way will be protected.
- You will understand what is right, just, and fair.
- You will know every good path.
- Wisdom will enter your heart.
- Knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
- Discretion will protect you.
- Understanding will guard you.
- Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men.
- Wisdom will save you from adultery.
- You will walk in the ways of the good.
- You will keep to the paths of the righteous.
- You will live and remain in the land.
Yes, Lord, thank you for your Word, without which we would be utterly lost. Would you bring me into the simple and comprehensive way of immersion in your Word? I want to accept, store up, turn my ear, apply my heart, call out for insight, cry aloud, and search for hidden treasure. Holy Spirit, illuminate me by the Word of God. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
For the Awakening,