Degeneration is a gradual descent into spiritual boredom, complacency, and, ultimately, compromise. The degenerating disciple experiences distance from God that often fosters disobedience and, in time, despondence. A person in this predicament is tempted to cease seeking and obeying God. There is a general lack of care—a spiritual apathy—that leads smack-dab into a spiritual slump.
Questions for Reflection:
- On a scale from 1 to 10, how would rate your current level of joyful intimacy with Christ?
- Are you currently in a spiritual slump? Have you ever been in a spiritual slump? Reflect on the causes and consequences of your slump.
- What symptoms of the spiritual slump have you experienced?
- Do you inquire of the Lord on a consistent basis? If so, what’s the evidence? If not, why not?
- Do you know someone who has overcome the spiritual slump? What practices or resources did they engage to grab God’s grace?
Prayer for Those in a Spiritual Slump
God, “Hound of Heaven,” sniff out those of us who are in a slump and despondent because of it. Rescue those who are on the verge of giving up hope that they will ever hit the ball again. Give us the capacity to assess whether or not we’re in a slump and the courage to admit it to ourselves. God of grace, help us out of the slump and get us back on a streak that glorifies you and inspires people. We pray in the name of the Christ who came to save slumping sinners, amen.
A spiritual slump can deepen not destroy us, if we grab onto the rope of God’s grace and hold on for dear life. It has been said, “the same sun that melts the wax also hardens the clay.” Exploring the life of the Bible’s King David, this book and video series presents a process for overcoming the slump so we reach our potential for a faithful, fruitful, and fulfilled life in Christ.
- Christians embarrassed or ashamed of being in a spiritual slump
- Church leaders needing a guide or content to lead congregants through spiritual depression
- Anyone who yearns to be awakened to God’s love for them
- Focused group trainings around spiritual slumps (videos sold separately)
In these pages you’ll:
- Realize that God’s love for you is not contingent upon your spiritual condition
- Overcome shame and stigma by discovering that many Christians experience times of spiritual apathy
- Be encouraged to disclose your slump to people who can support you
- Have language and tools not only to help you but to assist others in overcoming the spiritual slump